So my mentor, Dr. Shea...who told me he was leaving the university said that to become a better writer you have to write everyday. Write anything that comes to mind. I am taking his advise and started a new blog. A blog of short stories and other shit that I will write about.

But you can also see what I'm up to at my main blog.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Assignment 3

Create a poem using the Story chapter in the text. Free verse, no rhyming, at least 20 lines and 10 to 14 syllables in each line.


I love the smell of incense that has been lit.

It is my favorite part of church, when the Father rocks the chalice,

back and forth, left to right, releasing the perfumed smoke through out the cathedral.

Today at Robert's funeral, Mass was held at the old Queen of Peace Church.

I haven't been there since I was a kid, back when Father Troy was there.

The funeral mass was like the customary mass, Instruction –

The Liturgy of the Word, which included the, Gathering, Proclaiming, Explaining,

and Praying. Next, The Liturgy of the Eucharist-

that includes the Offering and the Consecrating, better known as the Holy Communion.

But this time the Father at the end of mass went to the casket and spread the smoke

over the casket. In this manner I watched.

The priest took censer that womb the burning sticks and held it

in his right hand at the height of his chest.

He then grasped by the chain near the cover,

and with his left hand, he held the top of the chain

and placed it near his chest.

He then raised the censer upwards to the height of his eyes and gave it a dance

an outward motion and slightly ascending towards the casket

then bringing it back to the starting point.

He then repeated this ballet to each side of the casket. North. South. East. West
.
And then the smell, it is so inspiring, and if not, spiritual.

It's the smell of an angel

I think.

One that was by your side not to long ago.

No comments: